Ebonites welcomed Dr. Welcome Khubeka to grace Ebony Park branch with study skills and career guidance talk. Ebonites had a chance to experience Dr. Khubeka just like their brothers and sisters did in 2014. Dr. Khubeka has been faithful in giving IkamvaYouth Gauteng Branches (except Mamelodi Branch) motivational, career, and study skills talks.
Dr. Welcome talked about the following;
- How learners should manage their time, especial when it comes to their school work. He advised learners to make their own timetables which will guide them on how to study all their subjects which they are doing at school.
- He also urged learners to prioritise their school work over their other activities.
- He advised learners to reward themselves every time they achieve something.
- Choosing careers based on research and passion.
- Pursuing dreams and not giving up on what they want.
- Showing determination and hard work in their studies
A lot have benefited from his talks. In 2013, IkamvaYouth witnessed a high number of varsity placements and employment in Gauteng branches, it showed that such workshops were effective and prepared learners on their future endeavours. IkamvaYouth helps high school learners to improve their marks and get to varsity. The only way learners can choose their career path wisely is to involve professionals like Dr. Welcome and others like him to help them realize that their dreams are possible.
‘’Our engagement with the IkamvaYouth (Ivory Park and Ebony Park) branches is on how to assist learners to study in a creative way. Hence we believe that empowering them with the academic study skills at an early stage will contribute positively in their academic journey. The sessions which we offer to them cover critical study skills such as, time management, how to take notes, how to take examinations (focusing on analysing an assessment) and staying motivated during their studies’’, said Dr. Khubeka.
IkamvaYouth Ebony Park branch coordinator, Nyasha Zvomuya, mentioned that Dr. Khubeka’s talks have been good for the Ebonites, as many of them didn’t give us a hard time when choosing careers to pursue. We are grateful to partner with him and Gauteng branches will always open the door for Dr. Khubeka.
“It’s crucial for learners to take part in these workshops which help them to make career choices and gain effective study skills. We have witnessed how learners in lower grades react to such talks and presume It will be easy for them to make good career decisions once they reach grade 12”said Michael Thema (Branch Assistant, Ebony Park).
IkamvaYouth Gauteng branches will continue to inspire high school learners with such talks from professionals like Mr Khubeka.